Saturday 23 June 2012

The challenge of not being able to drive.

31 days of getting out of the house without my driver's licence.
the ones that proved too much of a challenge...

A Doctor's Appointment (18mins by car)
a) walk 20mins, bus 23mins, walk 1min (44mins)
b) 4mins walk, 19mins bus, 4mins wait, 17mins bus, 2mins walk (47mins)
c) 2mins walk, 10mins train, 4mins walk during 22mins wait, 10mins walk (55mins)
A Pre-Employment Course Session (30mins by car)
3mins walk, 14mins bus, 1min walk during 5mins wait, 9mins bus, 5mins wait, 20mins bus, 5mins walk (1hr)
Why is it that I focus so much on this one I didn't get to and refuse to acknowledge the one I did get to?
My Friend's Art Exhibition Opening (27mins by car)
To get there, I had a choice of:
a) 3mins walk, 14mins bus, 1min walk during 6mins wait, 16mins bus, 7mins walk (46mins)
b) 4mins walk, 5mins bus, 1min walk during 8mins wait, 25mins bus, 3mins walk (45mins)
To get home, I had a choice of:
a) 5mins walk, 18mins bus, 1min walk during 17mins wait, 13mins bus, 3mins walk (56mins)
b) 5mins walk, 25mins bus, 1min walk during 7mins wait, 20mins bus, 3mins walk (1hr)
It was also dark and cold.  I stayed home.
2 x Employment Service Provider Appointments (30mins by car)
I had a choice of:
a) 4mins walk, 7mins bus, 1min walk during 7mins wait, 15mins bus, 5mins wait, 5mins bus, 2mins walk during 12mins wait, 20mins train, 8mins walk (1hr23mins)
b) 3mins walk, 14mins bus, 2mins walk during 9mins wait, 14mins bus, 8mins wait, 34mins bus, 4mins walk (1hr26mins)
c) 4mins walk, 7mins bus, 1min walk during 7mins wait, 9mins bus, 1min walk during 6mins wait, 25mins bus, 1min walk during 7mins wait, 19mins bus, 5mins walk (1hr29mins)
d) none of the above
I chose (d).
My Cousin's Engagement Party (32mins by car)
To get there, I had a choice of:
a) 4mins walk, 5mins bus, 1min walk during 5mins wait, 22mins bus, 8mins wait, 19mins bus, 4mins walk (1hr7mins)
b) 3mins walk, 14mins bus, 1min walk during 12mins wait, 14mins bus, 2mins walk during 15mins wait, 20mins bus, 4mins walk (1hr22mins)
c) 3mins walk, 14mins bus, 1min walk during 5mins wait, 9min bus, 5mins wait, 5mins bus, 2mins walk during 10mins wait, 11mins train, 10mins walk (1hr12mins) 
but that didn't count for much considering my choices for getting home included:
10,13 or 21 mins walk in the dark, cold, possibly raining, plus 3 buses or 2 buses and a tram (1hr30mins - 1hr44mins)
I had also forgotten to buy any "cocktail attire" and my absolute nicest going out clothes are black jeans, a fairly casual top and either a black cardigan or a black polarfleece jacket.  I'm unsure whether I have no dressy clothes because I don't go out or if I don't go out because I have no dressy clothes.  I opted to stay home in my pjyamas.
Lunch with a Friend
lifts from friend
 All I had to do was roll out of bed and stumble into the shower and all of that stuff people do without thinking and then open my front door so my friend could take me to lunch.  Obviously this one had nothing to do with being overwhelmed by bus transfers.  I was overwhelmed by transferring myself from horizontal to vertical.
Wednesday Night & Thursday Night Theatre Performances (30mins by car)
4mins walk, 5mins bus, 1min walk during 29mins wait, 1hr1min bus, 2mins walk (1hr41mins)
That Wednesday was the first day I was no longer allowed to drive.  I took it pretty well, if you consider "pretty well" to mean sitting on the floor in a towel for a couple of hours before mustering up the strength to put on pyjamas.
 I didn't make it to these things but there's a whole heap of things I did get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment